[Python-Dev] externals?

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Nov 18 13:18:43 CET 2012

Zitat von Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> One way would be to use one hg repo per version, and (maybe, if needed)
>> a master repo that has them as subrepos.
>
> Or have all versions in the same repo as usual (with branches), but
> have hg subrepos point to different repos: ones extracted from the
> main repo by containing only the correct branch.  But it might be a
> bit delicate to pull this off.  (hg clone takes a "-r" option and
> copies only things needed for the given revision or branch, but
> apparently we can't pass this option automatically to the cloning of
> subrepos.  (Maybe it points out that subrepos are a hack best done
> without altogether, which is what we did in pypy.))

I'd like to stress that we don't need any versioning here. wget and
tar would be sufficient, except that it's Windows, so we have neither
wget nor tar. However, including a PowerShell script may be an option;
most developers will have PowerShell already on their system. AFAICT,
PowerShell can do HTTP downloads and extract zip files.

Regards,
Martin