[Python-Dev] Split unicodeobject.c into subfiles?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 19:55:02 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Chris Jerdonek
<chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I really fail to see what problem people have with large source files.
>> What is it that you want to do that can be done easier if it's multiple
>> files?
>
> One thing is browse or link to such code files on the web (e.g. from
> within a tracker comment or from within our online documentation).
> For example, today I was unable to open the following page from within
> a browser to link to one of its lines on a tracker comment:
>
> http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/27c20650aeab/Objects/unicodeobject.c
>
> My laptop's fan simply turns on and the page hangs indefinitely while loading.

Curious. This sounds like a web browser issue - I can pull it up in
either Chrome or Firefox on Windows on my 2GHz/2GB RAM laptop with a
visible pause, but not more than half a second. However, this page is
rather more significant, and is affected equally by the file size:

http://hg.python.org/cpython/annotate/27c20650aeab/Objects/unicodeobject.c

ChrisA