[Python-Dev] Split unicodeobject.c into subfiles?

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 19:47:02 CET 2012

[Apologies for resurrecting a few-weeks old thread.]

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Zitat von Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>:
>
>> I only see one argument against such refactoring: it will be harder to
>> backport/forwardport bugfixes.
>
> I'm opposed for a different reason: I think it will be *harder* to maintain.
> The amount of code will not be reduced, but now you also need to guess what
> file some piece of functionality may be in. Instead of having my text editor
> (Emacs) search in one file, it will have to search across multiple files -
> but not across all open buffers, but only some of them (since I will have
> many other source files open as well).
>
> I really fail to see what problem people have with large source files.
> What is it that you want to do that can be done easier if it's multiple
> files?

One thing is browse or link to such code files on the web (e.g. from
within a tracker comment or from within our online documentation).
For example, today I was unable to open the following page from within
a browser to link to one of its lines on a tracker comment:

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/27c20650aeab/Objects/unicodeobject.c

My laptop's fan simply turns on and the page hangs indefinitely while loading.

I don't think this point was ever mentioned.

--Chris