[Python-Dev] PEP 418: Add monotonic clock

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 01:45:32 CEST 2012

Matt, we need the fallback behaviour in the stdlib so we can gracefully
degrade the stdlib's *own* timeout handling back to the 3.2 status quo when
there is no monotic clock available. It is *not* acceptable for the Python
3.3 stdlib to only work on platforms that provide a monotonic clock.

Since duplicating that logic in every module that handles timeouts would be
silly, it makes sense to provide an obvious way to do it in the time
module.

--
Sent from my phone, thus the relative brevity :)