[Python-Dev] PEP 418: Add monotonic clock

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:55:16 CEST 2012

> The clock does jump forward when the system suspends.  At least some
> existing implementations of steady_clock in C++ already have this problem,
> and I think they all might.
> Time with respect to power management state changes is something that the
> PEP should address fully, for each platform.

I don't think that Python should workaround OS issues, but document
them correctly. I started with this sentence for time.monotonic():

"The monotonic clock may stop while the system is suspended."

I don't know exactly how clocks behave with system suspend. Tell me if
you have more information.

>  (<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa1340/_index.html>,
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394362.aspx>,
> <http://upower.freedesktop.org/docs/UPower.html#UPower::Sleeping>).

I will read these links and maybe add them to the PEP.

Victor