[Python-Dev] Poking about issue 1677

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 26 21:02:58 CEST 2012

On 6/26/2012 6:51 AM, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:

> The issue is that sometimes, if you press ctrl-c on Windows, instead
> of raising a KeyboardInterrupt, Python will exit completely. Because
> of this, any program that relies on ctrl-c/KeyboardInterrupt is not
> guaranteed to work on windows. Also, working with the interactive
> interpreter becomes really annoying for those with the habit of
> deleting the whole input line via ctrl-c.

Idle Shell, 3.3.0a4, Win 7does not seem to have this problem. Still up
after 6000 ^Cs. It is better anyway, in multiple ways, than Command
Prompt. (That does not help batch-mode programs, though.)

That aside, perhaps the way it handles ^C might help.

I did get the CP to close four times, each time after a few hundred to
maybe a thousand ^Cs. It seems to require more than just one held down
key press. I suspect the closures happened after the limited line buffer
was filled and it was starting to delete the earliest lines.

--
Terry Jan Reedy