[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Mon Jan 30 19:19:56 CET 2012

On 1/29/2012 4:39 PM, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> An example of this working: ipaddr is ready to go in. It got the
> eyeballs and API modifications while still a pypi library as a result
> of the discussion around the time it was originally suggested as being
> added.  I or any other committers have simply not added it yet.

This is wrong. PEP 3144 was not pronounced upon, so ipaddr is not just
waiting for someone to commit it; it's waiting on consensus and
pronouncement.

PEP 3144 wasn't pronounced upon because there were significant
disagreements about the design of the API proposed in the PEP. As it
stands, I believe the authorship of ipaddr either decided that they were
not going to compromise their module or lost interest.

See Nick Coghlan's summary:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail//python-ideas/2011-August/011305.html

--
Scott Dial