[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 23:02:44 CET 2012

On 29 January 2012 21:39, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:

> An example of this working: ipaddr is ready to go in. It got the
> eyeballs and API modifications while still a pypi library as a result
> of the discussion around the time it was originally suggested as being
> added.  I or any other committers have simply not added it yet.

Interesting. I recall the API debates and uncertainty, but I don't
recall having seen anything to indicate that it all got resolved and
we're essentially "ready to go". If I were looking for an IP address
library, I wouldn't know where to go, and I certainly wouldn't know
that there was an option that would become part of the stdlib. Not
sure that counts as the approach "working"... (although I concede that
my lack of a *real* need for an IP address library may be a
contributing factor to my lack of knowledge...)

Paul.