[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 00:46:13 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Nothing beats people beating on it heavily for years in production code to
> shake things out.  I often think a generic answer to "did I get the API right"
> could be "no, but it's okay" :)

Heh, my answer to complaints about the urrlib (etc) APIs being
horrendous in the modern web era is to point out that they were put
together in an age where "web" mostly meant "unauthenticated HTTP GET
requests".

They're hard to use for modern authentication protocols because they
*predate* widespread use of such things...

Cheers,
Nick.