[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jan 29 23:44:07 CET 2012

On Jan 28, 2012, at 07:29 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>Finally, if you really want to put warnings in whenever an
>experimental module is being used, make it a silent warning, like
>SilentDeprecationWarning. That allows people to request more strict
>warnings without unduly alarming the users of an app.

I'll just note too that we have examples of "stable" APIs in modules being
used successfully in the field for years, and still having long hand-wringing
debates about whether the API choices are right or not.  <cough>email</cough>

Nothing beats people beating on it heavily for years in production code to
shake things out.  I often think a generic answer to "did I get the API right"
could be "no, but it's okay" :)

-Barry