[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 13:35:57 CET 2012

On 4 February 2012 11:25, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> It strikes me that it would be helpful sometimes to programmatically
> recognise "preview" modules in the std lib. Could we have a recommendation
> in PEP 8 that such modules should have a global variable called PREVIEW, and
> non-preview modules should not, so that the recommended way of telling them
> apart is with hasattr(module, "PREVIEW")?

In what situation would you want that when you weren't referring to a
specific module? If you're referring to a specific module and you
really care, just check sys.version. (That's annoying and ugly enough
that it'd probably make you thing about why you are doing it - I
cannot honestly think of a case where I'd actually want to check in
code if a module is a preview - hence my question as to what your use
case is).

Feels like YAGNI to me.
Paul.