[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 4 12:25:05 CET 2012

Terry Reedy wrote:

>>> Now we're talking about having to add __preview__ into that mix too?
>>
>> As I understand it, Guido nixed that idea. (Or did I imagine that?)
>
> No, you are right, discussion should cease. It is already marked
> 'rejected' and listed under Abandoned, Withdrawn, and Rejected PEPs.
>
>> Preview modules will be just added to the std lib as normal, and you
>> have to read the docs to find out they're preview.
>
> What's New should say so too.

A thought comes to mind...

It strikes me that it would be helpful sometimes to programmatically recognise
"preview" modules in the std lib. Could we have a recommendation in PEP 8 that
such modules should have a global variable called PREVIEW, and non-preview
modules should not, so that the recommended way of telling them apart is with
hasattr(module, "PREVIEW")?

--
Steven