[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython (2.7): Issue #13156: revert changeset f6feed6ec3f9, which was only relevant for native

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 09:19:55 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 10/15/2011 7:47 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>
>> This may be a done deal, but: no. If a patch is reverted, the NEWS entry
>> that got in with it gets out again on reversal. The NEWS file
>> is for users of the release; there is no point telling them that a
>> change was made first, and than got undone.
>
> I was going to say the same thing, but ...
>
> If a change is released in x.y.z and reverted for release x.y.(z+k), then I
> think both notices should be present in their respective sections.
>
> I checked the date on the original patch and it was before 3.2.1, so perhaps
> it *was* released.

Indeed, "was it released?" is the gating criteria for whether the old
NEWS entry is removed or whether a new one is made. No release should
ever remove a NEWS entry from an earlier release, *unless* the NEWS
entry itself was a mistake (i.e. it refers to a change that wasn't
actually part of a release).

Cheers,
Nick.