[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Thu Oct 13 18:35:06 CEST 2011

Hi Nick,

Le 11/10/2011 03:29, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ideally bdist_wininst and bdist_msi would also integrate with pysetup
>> and with virtual environments, but I imagine that could be pretty hard
>> to make work cleanly, as Windows doesn't really support multiple
>> installations of a software package...
> That's OK, the package managers get bypassed by pysetup on POSIX
> systems as well - that's kind of the point of language level virtual
> environments
I’m not sure I follow you.  wininst and msi installers are supposed to
work with the Windows programs manager, it is not bypassed at all IIUC.
 That’s the difficulty: How to make the Add/Remove program aware of many
Pythons and venvs?

> There are hard to build packages on POSIX (e.g. PIL) that would also
> benefit from a good, cross-platform approach to binary installation.
We haven’t talked about cross-platform binary installers.  The current
gist of the discussion seems to point to a world where people continue
to release an sdist for capable OSes and also publish one bdist_simple
with .pyd for one Windows version and one bdist_simple with .so for one
Mac OS X version (but possible many arches).  (And given that it’s
possible to have one setup.cfg and one setup.py coexisting, maybe eggs
will be offered for a while too.)

Regards