[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 03:29:41 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ideally bdist_wininst and bdist_msi would also integrate with pysetup
> and with virtual environments, but I imagine that could be pretty hard
> to make work cleanly, as Windows doesn't really support multiple
> installations of a software package...

That's OK, the package managers get bypassed by pysetup on POSIX
systems as well - that's kind of the point of language level virtual
environments (they're an intermediate step between system installs and
chroot installs, which in turn are an interim step on the road to full
virtualised machines).

There are hard to build packages on POSIX (e.g. PIL) that would also
benefit from a good, cross-platform approach to binary installation.

Cheers,
Nick.