[Python-Dev] cpython (3.2): Issue #11956: Skip test_import.test_unwritable_directory on FreeBSD when run as

Charles-François Natali neologix at free.fr
Thu Oct 6 09:29:53 CEST 2011

> I'd have expect this test to fail on _any_ UNIX system if run as root.
> Root's allowed to write to stuff! Any stuff! About the only permission
> with any effect on root is the eXecute bit for the exec call, to prevent
> blindly running random data files.

You're right, here's another test on Linux (I must have screwed up
when I tested this on my box):

# mkdir /tmp/foo
# chmod -w /tmp/foo
# touch /tmp/foo/bar
# ls /tmp/foo
bar

You can still set the directory immutable if you really want to deny
write to root:

# chattr +i /tmp/foo
# touch /tmp/foo/spam
touch: cannot touch `/tmp/foo/spam': Permission denied

> Equally, why on earth are you running tests as root!?!?!?!?! Madness.
> It's as bad as compiling stuff as root etc etc. A bad idea all around,
> securitywise.

Agreed, I would personally never run a buildbot as root.
I just changed this because I was tired of seeing the same buildbots
always red (thus masking real failures).