[Python-Dev] Python 3.3 release schedule posted

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 00:33:53 CET 2011

On 23/03/2011 19:56, Georg Brandl wrote:
> I've posted a very preliminary Python 3.3 release schedule as PEP 398.
> The final release is set to be about 18 months after 3.2 final, which
> is in August 2012.
>
> For 3.3, I'd like to revive the tradition of listing planned large-scale
> changes in the PEP.  Please let me know if you plan any such changes,
> at any time.  (If they aren't codified in PEP form, we should think about
> whether they should be.)
>
> The "Candidate PEPs" I listed are those open PEPs that in my opinion have
> the highest chance to be accepted and implemented for 3.3.  It is by no
> means binding.

During the language summit we also discussed formalising in a pep the
rule that all modules that have a pure python form and a C accelerator
must keep the pure python and C form precisely in sync and the same
tests must be run against both. Brett said he would write the pep after
he has switched import to use importlib...

There was also the "compatibility warning", probably enabled by a
command line flag, that would warn on the use of CPython specific
implementation details (for example using non-string keys in class
dicts). There is no owner for this as a PEP.

They're both mentioned in Nick Coghlan's summary:

http://www.boredomandlaziness.org/2011/03/python-language-summit-highlights.html

Another item discussed at the language summit was moving the standard
library into its own repository. Jesse Noller started working on a PEP
but it stalled waiting for the transition to mercurial and I don't know
if he is volunteering to pick up the PEP again now that has happened.

All the best,

Michael Foord