[Python-Dev] In-Python virtualisation and packaging

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Jun 14 03:35:03 CEST 2011

On 13Jun2011 13:47, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
| Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
|
| > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net>
| > wrote:
| > > As a side-note, I think calling it "virtualization" is a recipe for
| > > confusion.
| >
| > Indeed, OS level virtualisation pretty much has a lock on that term.
| > "virtual environments" skates close to it but manages to avoid it well
| > enough to avoid confusion.
|
| Or as they involving encapsulating paths and libaries, perhaps we could call
| them "capsules" ;-) though I think the term virtualenv is pretty entrenched now
| in the Python community.

"virtualenv" by all means - we all know what is meant.

But "virtualisation" - I also am -1 on that. Indeed, when I started reading
this thread my expectation was wrong for that very reason.

Same issue with "capsules" (yes I know you weren't serious) - too
generic a term, too vague.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It looked good-natured, she thought;  Still it had very long claws and a
great many teeth, so she felt it ought to be treated with respect.