[Python-Dev] In-Python virtualisation and packaging

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jun 13 17:02:24 CEST 2011

On Jun 13, 2011, at 11:47 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:

>Do people agree that it may be fitting, proper and timely to bring
>virtualisation into Python, and are there any fundamental flaws anyone can see
>with the approach used?

Yes, absolutely.  We'll hash out the details when the PEP is published, and
bikeshed on all the terminology, but I really think this would be a very
powerful addition to the standard library, so +1.  Hopefully, the maintenance
issues can be sorted out.

Question: how hard would it be to backport the work you've done to Python 3.2?
Obviously I'm not saying it should be ported to the official 3.2 branch, but
if *someone* were interested in doing so, would it be possible?  Sounds like
you can almost get there with stdlib changes, but would require a few C
changes too (I haven't looked at the diff yet).  I'm just wondering if the
same API could be made available to Python 3.2 as a third party module.  It
sounds like "almost, but not quite".

>If people want to experiment with this code without cloning and building, I
>created a Debian package using checkinstall, which can be installed using
>
>sudo dpkg -i pythonv_3.3-1_i386.deb
>
>and removed using
>
>sudo dpkg -r pythonv
>
>I can make this Debian package available for download, if anyone wants it.

Is the Debian packaging branch available too?  I'd be happy to throw that in
my PPA for Ubuntu users to play with.

Cheers,
-Barry