[Python-Dev] cpython: Remove some extraneous parentheses and swap the comparison order to

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jun 10 21:49:26 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 7:35 AM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com> wrote:
>> After ~12 years of doing this, it comes naturally.  I appreciate that
>> this may come across as weird though :)
>
> I actually thought Brett's rationale in the checkin comment was
> reasonable (if you get in the habit of putting constants on the left,
> then the classic "'=' instead of '=='" typo is a compiler error
> instead of a reassignment).

I really like consistency across the code base. I really don't like
constant-on-the-left, and it's basically not used in the current
codebase. Please be consistent and don't start using it.

> Call it a +0 in favour of letting people put constants on the left in
> C code if they prefer it that way, so long as any given if/elif chain
> is consistent in the style it uses.

Sorry, I give it a -1. (I'd like to be able to read the codebase still... :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)