[Python-Dev] cpython (3.2): Stop ignoring Mercurial merge conflits files (#12255).

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Jul 29 18:19:45 CEST 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:49:35 +0200, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:21:42 +0200 <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> > > What use are these backups really? We are using a (D)VCS, you are not
> > > losing anything.
> >
> > The .orig files after a revert could contain code that’s not committed
> > anywhere.  See also RDM’s reply to your message.
>
> I would point out that by using "hg revert", you deliberately want to
> forget some local changes.

But *I'm* talking about 'patch'.  That has nothing to do with either
merge or revert.

> Besides, "hg status" is meant to show untracked files which could
> *potentially* be tracked. It's not like anybody wants to track .orig
> and .rej files, so having them in the ignore list is still the right
> thing to do.

That's one view.  My view is that 'hg status' tells me all the files
that have appeared in my tree that I'm either not currently tracking or
explicitly ignoring (because the project's automated tools will deal
with them).  Nothing in there about limiting it to files I *might*
want to track.  That is how I've always used my version control
systems.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com