[Python-Dev] Python launcher command line usage (Was: 3.2.1 encoding surprise)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jul 22 11:49:04 CEST 2011

On 22/07/2011 02:30, Vlad Riscutia wrote:
> If versioned filenames are added in addition to python.exe, it still
> might look confusing for most users: Why do I have python and
> python3.2 executables? What's the difference? I'd rather go with -v
> argument either way, for people that /know/ they want to call Python
> 3.2 instead of Python 3.1...

It doesn't seem to be too confusing for Linux / Mac OS X users where you
have both. What's more it's very useful. I still like being able to
specify version from the launcher, it's probably what I will use it most
for (on the rare occasions I still use Windows).

Michael

> Thank you,
> Vlad
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org
> <mailto:merwok at netwok.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Le 22/07/2011 03:03, Vlad Riscutia a écrit :
>     > I'm kind of -1 on changing Python executable name. It would make
>     sense for
>     > different major versions, where there are known
>     incompatibilities, so
>     > python2-python3 would make sense but python31 python32 not that
>     much...
>     >
>     > If my team is using Python and it gets pre-installed with other
>     dev-tools,
>     > do I need to let everyone know they must call python*31*? And if
>     we upgrade,
>     > make sure everyone knows they should now call python*32*? What
>     if we have
>     > scripts that call python? Make sure we update all of them
>     whenever minor
>     > version is changed?
>
>     If I understand correctly, adding versioned filenames like
>     python3.3.exe
>     would happen in addition of python.exe, not in replacement.
>
>     Regards

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil