[Python-Dev] cpython: Remove mention of medical condition from the test suite.

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Jul 6 08:51:21 CEST 2011

Georg Brandl, 06.07.2011 07:35:
> Well, it was stated that even non-joking use of such words can offend
> (the example given was "your argument is blind to (these facts)").
> I consider use in jokes to be more serious, since it's careless use.
> Sorry if I overreacted here.

There's a common saying that a disabled person can't be considered "normal"
unless he/she can also be called an asshole from time to time.

Personally, I do not consider the pun in question harmful, simply because
it's so clearly just a play on words that doesn't make much sense, apart
from having a double meaning.

In general, however, I think it's important to make jokes with and about
disabled people. That keeps them inside of our society, just like anyone
else. Treating them as "untouchable" means to single them out.

On that note, if anyone of you ever makes it to the beautiful village of
Amersfoort (NL), don't miss the "Downey's" café. Nice and friendly place to be.

Stefan