[Python-Dev] Python merge module

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Feb 3 07:10:26 CET 2011

> I'm really not trying to start a flame war here (my original post
> only asked if there was "thought towards migrating away from
> msilib"). There's legitimate need/desire for a merge module to make
> it easier to package a specific Python version.

Please recognize that this question is entirely independent of the
question whether Wix is used or not.

I'm personally +0 on providing a merge module (although others are
apparently opposed to that idea).

As for msilib vs. Wix: yes, I did put thought into this (actually
originally also when writing msilib, which slightly predates Wix in
time). However, I don't see any need to switch, and I actually do
believe that Wix couldn't provide a feature-by-feature full
replacement of the current packaging code (but I might be wrong).

Regards,
Martin