[Python-Dev] PEP categories (was Re: PEP 393 review)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Aug 29 20:59:02 CEST 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 06:55 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:

>These things tend to get somewhat clumsy over time, though. What about a
>stdlib change that only applies to CPython for some reason, e.g. because no
>other implementation currently has that module?  I think it's ok to make a
>coarse-grained distinction by numbers, but there should also be a way to tag
>PEPs textually.

Yeah, the categories would be pretty coarse grained, and their orthogonality
would cause classification problems.  I suppose we could use some kind of
hashtag approach.  OTOH, I'm not entirely sure it's worth it either. ;)

I think we'd need a concrete proposal and someone willing to hack the PEP0
autogen tools.

-Barry