[Python-Dev] PEP categories (was Re: PEP 393 review)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Aug 29 18:55:00 CEST 2011

Barry Warsaw, 29.08.2011 18:24:
> On Aug 29, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>
>> Also, this PEP makes me wonder if there should be a way to distinguish
>> between language PEPs and (CPython) implementation PEPs, by adding a
>> tag or using the PEP number ranges somehow.
>
> I've thought about this, and about a similar split between language changes
> and stdlib changes (i.e. new modules such as regex).  Probably the best thing
> to do would be to allocate some 1000's to the different categories, like we
> did for the 3xxx Python 3k PEPS (now largely moot though).

These things tend to get somewhat clumsy over time, though. What about a
stdlib change that only applies to CPython for some reason, e.g. because no
other implementation currently has that module?

I think it's ok to make a coarse-grained distinction by numbers, but there
should also be a way to tag PEPs textually.

Stefan