[Python-Dev] PEP 384 status

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 12 16:22:08 CEST 2010

Am 07.09.2010 19:48, schrieb M.-A. Lemburg:
> "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>
>>> This sounds like the issues such a mix can cause are mostly
>>> theoretical and don't really bother much in practice, so
>>> PEP 384 on Windows does have a chance :-)
>>
>> Actually, the CRT issues (FILE* in particular) have been
>> causing real crashes for many years, for many people.
>
> Do you have some pointers ?

You mean, other than FILE* :-?

Unfortunately, I don't have time to search for reports, but
they had been several on comp.lang.python over the years.

As others say, this is *really* easy to reproduce.

> I don't remember this being a real practical issue, at least
> not for different versions of the MS CRTs.

You probably had not been passing FILE* across CRT boundaries,
then. Notice that this is an uncommon thing to do, except that
the Python API has some functions that expect FILE*.

As others have mentioned, CRT file handles are a problem, too,
but less so: a) they aren't explicitly passed in any of the
Python APIs (except for the obvious os.* functions), b) they
don't cause crashes, just outputs to the wrong files, and
c) if they are 0/1/2, they actually do the right thing.

Regards,
Martin