[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 4 16:00:44 CEST 2010

> -1 on always using wchar_t as well. Python's default is UCS2 and the
> stable ABI should not change that.

It's not really Python's default. It is what configure.in does by
default. Python's default, on Linux, is UCS-4.

> I also think that this information is not relevant for the stable
> ABI: Extensions that want to stick to the stable ABI should really
> not have to know whether Py_UNICODE maps to wchar_t or not. If they
> want to interface to a local whcar_t type they can use the conversion
> APIs we have for that in the Unicode API: PyUnicode_FromWideChar()
> and PyUnicode_AsWideChar().

Ok. I'm fine with excluding Py_UNICODE from the stable ABI. However,
I think in the long run, I guess more support for wchar_t will then
be needed in the API, e.g. more convenient argument parsing.

Regards,
Martin