[Python-Dev] Python equivalents in stdlib Was: Include datetime.py in stdlib or not?

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 22:20:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 00:59:02 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
..
> I don't really like the proliferation of module test helpers, it only
> makes things confusing and forces you to switch between more files in
> your editor. By contrast, the subclassing solution is simple, explicit
> and obvious.

And would require a lot of tedious and error prone work to retrofit
existing tests.  Since we don't have meta regression tests, there is
no obvious way to assure that retrofitting does not change the tests.
Note that test_pickle uses both the subclassing solution *and* a
helper pickletester module because this neatly separates
maulti-implementation machinery from the actual test definitions.

> (I also wonder what problem this subthread is trying to solve at all.

The problem is to find a simple solution that will allow running
existing unit tests written for a C extension on both the original
extension and the added pure python equivalent.  When the existing
tests were developed over many years and have 100+ test cases, this is
not as easy task as it would be if you wrote your tests from scratch.