[Python-Dev] query: docstring formatting in python distutils code

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Wed Jul 7 17:54:00 CEST 2010

Hi all,

over on the fellowship o' the packaging mailing list, one of our GSoC students
(merwok) asked about how much formatting info should go into Python stdlib
docstrings.  Right now the stdlib docstrings are primarily text, AFAIK; but
with the switch to Sphinx for the official Python docs, should we permit
ReST-general and/or Sphinx-specific markup in docstrings?

Hmm, I don't actually see that the stdlib docstrings are imported into the
Python documentation anywhere, so maybe the use of Sphinx isn't that
relevant.  But how about ReST in general?

See

	http://sphinx.pocoo.org/markup/index.html

for sphinx-specific markup constructs.

thanks,