[Python-Dev] Issue #10348: concurrent.futures doesn't work on BSD

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Wed Dec 29 20:33:29 CET 2010

On Dec 29, 2010, at 2:14 PM, R. David Murray wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:58:55 -0500, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The concurrent.futures tests should (like the multiprocessing test
>> suite) detect the lack of support and skip the tests on the broken
>> platforms. I'm sort of surprised FreeBSD support is still broken in
>> this way though (echoed by Philip) although it could be an issue on
>> that particular buildbot.
>
> If I'm reading the issue correctly, it isn't that it doesn't work,
> it's that the concurrent.futures tests fail because they create more
> semaphores than the default FreeBSD install supports.  In other words,
> a user of concurrent.futures really needs to tweak their FreeBSD install
> to make in fully functional.

I think that's correct. Furthermore, the default 7.2 install doesn't have the necessary kernel modules loaded in order to use POSIX semaphores. See the notes here for FreeBSD:
http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/#platforms

kldstat on my barely-customized 7.2 installation gives a list of three modules: kernel, acpi.ko and linux.ko (I assume because I asked for Linux executable format compatibility when I installed).

bye
Philip