[Python-Dev] Issue #10348: concurrent.futures doesn't work on BSD

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Dec 29 20:14:03 CET 2010

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:58:55 -0500, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> The concurrent.futures tests should (like the multiprocessing test
> suite) detect the lack of support and skip the tests on the broken
> platforms. I'm sort of surprised FreeBSD support is still broken in
> this way though (echoed by Philip) although it could be an issue on
> that particular buildbot.

If I'm reading the issue correctly, it isn't that it doesn't work,
it's that the concurrent.futures tests fail because they create more
semaphores than the default FreeBSD install supports.  In other words,
a user of concurrent.futures really needs to tweak their FreeBSD install
to make in fully functional.

There should be a way (through sysctl, presumably) to query the maximum
number of semaphores and skip the relevant tests on that basis.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com