[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 23:21:11 CET 2010

Bill Janssen <janssen <at> parc.com> writes:

> stdlib, you don't want that default.  I think that logging events
> (context) have to come into this; you can't do it with just severity
> alone.  I'd expect to have different settings, by default, for __main__
> and for http.client, for instance.

Although e.g. http.client may set a default severity, the developer integrating
it into an application is free to override that severity for the purposes of
their application. Typically, there are different severities set for different
parts of an application at different times, depending on where the focus of
diagnostic scrutiny is at those times.

Severity is not the only filtering mechanism, merely the simplest and most
common one, that people can readily grasp.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip