[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Dec 10 22:30:11 CET 2010

Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:

> 1) simple example for one file programs, include an example of
> specifying output severity threshold.  I'm with Antoine here on my
> expectations.

Yes, once I put

    logging.basicConfig(stream=sys.stdout, level=logging.DEBUG)

in my main(), I got what I thought I'd get in the first place.  All
logging messages.  But I can see Antoine's point: if we use this in the
stdlib, you don't want that default.  I think that logging events
(context) have to come into this; you can't do it with just severity
alone.  I'd expect to have different settings, by default, for __main__
and for http.client, for instance.

Bill