[Python-Dev] transform() and untransform() methods, and the codec registry

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Dec 3 18:58:32 CET 2010

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:14:56 -0500, Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> ..
> > Please also recall that transform/untransform was discussed before
> > the release of Python 3.0 and was approved at the time, but it just
> > did not get implemented before the 3.0 release.
> >

> Can you provide a link?  My search for transform on python-dev came out with

It was linked from the issue, if I recall correctly.  I do remember
reading the thread from the python-3000 list, linked by someone
somewhere :)

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-June/100564.html
>
> where you seem to oppose these methods.  Also, new methods to builtins

It looks to me like I was agreeing that transform/untrasnform should
do only bytes->bytes or str->str regardless of what codec name you
passed them.

> fall under the language moratorium (but can be approved on a
> case-by-case basis):
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3003/#case-by-case-exemptions
>
> Is there an effort to document these exceptions?  I expected such
> approvals to be added to PEP 3003, but apparently this was not the
> case.

I believe MAL's thought was that the addition of these methods had
been approved pre-moratorium, but I don't know if that is a
sufficient argument or not.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com