[Python-Dev] transform() and untransform() methods, and the codec registry

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 17:14:56 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
..
> Please also recall that transform/untransform was discussed before
> the release of Python 3.0 and was approved at the time, but it just
> did not get implemented before the 3.0 release.

Can you provide a link?  My search for transform on python-dev came out with

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-June/100564.html

where you seem to oppose these methods.  Also, new methods to builtins
fall under the language moratorium (but can be approved on a
case-by-case basis):

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3003/#case-by-case-exemptions

Is there an effort to document these exceptions?  I expected such
approvals to be added to PEP 3003, but apparently this was not the
case.