[Python-Dev] PEP 384 accepted

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 00:50:19 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I think distutils is simply a bugfix branch for distutils2. Similarly
>> as how we don't commit improvements in e.g. 2.7 or 3.1, neither do we
>> commit improvements to distutils.
>
> It's different, though, in the sense that Python has a release schedule
> and multiple committers working on it, and that it normally gets
> released even if some changes don't get included in a specific release
> yet.
>
> All this seems not to be true for distutils2.

We have 3 or 4 regular contributors. That's not a lot for sure.

> So my motivation to
> contribute changes to it is *much* lower than my desire to contribute
> to distutils, and it is also provably lower than my motivation to
> contribute to distribute (say). I'm just getting tired having to talk to
> five projects just to make a single change to the build infrastructure
> available to the Python community.

I am not trying to motivate you to contribute to Distutils2. I am
trying to make sure we are all on the same page for what's good for
Python.

So if we work in Distutils2 and you work in Distutils saying publicly
that you don't want to contribute to Distutils2, that's a total
nonsense.

We took some decisions, and you want to go against them.  So I want to
have a consensus here for the packaging eco-system and make sure we
are still on track.

I am sorry if you get tired of it, but I don't want to be told at the
next summit: sorry Tarek, now we need to do changes little by little
in distutils1