[Python-Dev] PEP 384 accepted

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Dec 2 23:54:01 CET 2010

On Dec 02, 2010, at 11:21 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>Well, the PEP 384 text in PEP 3149 specifies a change. It's not clear
>whether this change was accepted when PEP 3149 was accepted, or whether
>it was accepted when PEP 384 was accepted, or whether it was not
>accepted at all, or whether it was just proposed.

From my point of view, the PEP 3149 text is just a proposal.  It leaves the
final decision to PEP 384, but tries to address some of the issues raised
during the PEP 3149 discussion.  I think it is within PEP 384's scope to make
the final decisions about it.

>In any case, without the change, you won't naturally get extension
>modules that use the abi3 tag proposed in 3149.

I would favor changing distutils, if it can be done in a way that reasonably
preserves backward compatibility.  I suppose it's impossible to know all the
ways 3rd party code has reached into distutils, but I think you can make
fairly good judgements about whether a change is backward compatible or not.

-Barry