[Python-Dev] Possible language summit topic: buildbots

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 25 20:15:09 CET 2009

> OK, sounds useful. If I'm offline for a while, do multiple builds get
> queued, or only the "last" one?

IIRC, it will only build the last one, then with a huge blame list.

> If the former, I can imagine coming
> back to a pretty huge load if the slave breaks while I'm on holiday
> :-(

If it's offline too often, I'm skeptical that it would be useful. If
you report breakage after a day, then it will be difficult to attribute
this to a specific commit. It is most useful to have continuous
integration if error reports are instantaneous.

> I should look all of this up somewhere. Is there a reference to
> buildbot for slave maintainers? Are there any specifics for Python
> slaves that I should refer to?

Hmm. I thought I had send you this before:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildbotOnWindows

> (From what I've been able to find, it seems to me that setting up a
> slave first requires getting things sorted with the admins, which
> sadly precludes experimenting to find things out - I can understand
> why the python admins don't want people "playing" on the live buildbot
> infrastructure, though :-))

That's really not an issue. Feel free to play as much as you want, with
the live infrastructure. You can't break anything doing so (perhaps
except for spamming the mailing list with faulty reports). If you then
decide to withdraw your offer, that's fine as well (just make sure to
notify us instead of just silently taking the slave down).

Regards,
Martin