[Python-Dev] PEP 383 update: utf8b is now the error handler

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 7 21:39:12 CEST 2009

> Given your explanation of what the new 'surrogates' handler does (pass
> rather than reject erroneous surrogates), I think 'surrogates_pass' is
> fine.  Thus, I considoer that and 'surrogates_excape' the best proposal
> the best so far and suggest that you make this pair the current status
> quo to be argued against and improved ... or not.

That's exactly what I want to avoid: more bike-shedding. If this is now
changed, it cannot be possibly be argued against and improved - it would
be final, end of discussion (please!!!).

So I'm happy to make it "surrogatepass" and "surrogateescape" as
proposed by Walter. I'm sure you didn't really mean the spelling of
"excape" to be taken literally - whether or not you meant the plural
and the underscore literally, I cannot tell. Stephen Turnbull approved
singular, so that's good enough for me.

Regards,
Martin