[Python-Dev] PEP 383 update: utf8b is now the error handler

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 7 20:57:56 CEST 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> So are you proposing that I should rename the PEP 383 handler
>>> to "utf_8b_encoder_invalid_codepoints"?
>>
>> No, he's saying that your algorithm for choosing the PEP 383 handler
>> should have come up with that name, rather than utf8b.  But since PEP
>> 383 applies to other codecs besides UTF-8, it should have a different
>> name.  And one that is less cumbersome than
>> "utf_8b_encoder_invalid_codepoints"

Correct.  Thank you Glenn.

> I'm still at a loss what name to give it, though. I understand that
> I have to rename both error handlers, but I'm uncertain what I should
> rename them to. So proposals that rename only one of them aren't
> that helpful. It would be helpful if people would indicate support
> for Antoine's proposal.

Given your explanation of what the new 'surrogates' handler does (pass
rather than reject erroneous surrogates), I think 'surrogates_pass' is
fine.  Thus, I considoer that and 'surrogates_excape' the best proposal
the best so far and suggest that you make this pair the current status
quo to be argued against and improved ... or not.

tjr