[Python-Dev] GPython?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:50:20 CET 2009

2009/3/27 Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com>:
> In particular, Windows support is one of those things we'll need to
> address on our end. LLVM's Windows support may be spotty, or there may
> be other Windows issues we inadvertently introduce. None of the three
> of us have Windows machines, nor do we particularly want to acquire
> them :), and Windows support isn't going to be a big priority. If we
> find that some of our patches have Windows issues, we will certainly
> fix those before proposing their inclusion in CPython.

On the assumption (sorry, I've done little more than read the press
releases so far) that you're starting from the CPython base and
incrementally patching things, you currently have strong Windows
support. It would be a shame if that got gradually chipped away
through neglect, until it became a big job to reinstate it.

If the Unladen Swallow team doesn't include any Windows developers,
you're a bit stuck, I guess, but could you not at least have a Windows
buildbot which keeps tabs on the current status? Then you might
encourage interested Windows bystanders to check in occasionally and
maybe offer fixes.

As things stand, the press releases give me the impression (as a
Windows user without a lot of time to invest in contributing) that
this project is irrelevant to me, and I should ignore it until you
announce "proper" Windows support. By which time, it may have fallen
completely off my radar. (On a smaller scale, this happened with
virtualenv - I found to my surprise that it now supported Windows, and
had for some time without me realising, because when it started it was
Unix-only and I had not bothered to keep track of it). Maybe again
it's something that could be clarified in the announcements.

Paul.