[Python-Dev] GPython?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 27 09:13:44 CET 2009

Collin Winter wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> An ars technica articla just linked to in a python-list post
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/google-launches-project-to-boost-python-performance-by-5x.ars
>>
>> calls the following project "Google launched"
>> http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ProjectPlan
>>
>> (Though the project page does not really claim that.)
>
> Hi, I'm the tech lead for Unladen Swallow. Jeffrey Yasskin and Thomas
> Wouters are also working on this project.
>
> Unladen Swallow is Google-sponsored, but not Google-owned. This is an
> open-source branch that we're working on, focused on performance, and
> we want to move all of our work upstream as quickly as possible. In
> fact, right now I'm adding a last few tests before putting our cPickle
> patches up on the tracker for further review.

Thank you for the answers and comments.

Pickle speedups will be welcomed by many.  It comes up on python-list
from time to time.

>> I am sure some people here might find this interesting.
>>
>> I'd love to have a faster CPython, but this note:
>> "Will probably kill Python Windows support (for now)."
>> would kill merger back into mainline (for now) without one opposing being
>> 'conservative'.
>
> To clarify, when I wrote 'conservative', I wasn't being disparaging. A

Sorry I was mislead.  Perhaps you might want to rewrite to sound more
like what you have written here -- something like "There is a risk we
will be unable to justify the more radical changes that we propose."

> resistance to change can certainly be a good thing, and something that
> I think is very healthy in these situations. We certainly have to
> prove ourselves, especially given some of the fairly radical things
> we're thinking of [1]. We believe we can justify these changes, but I
> *do* want to be forced to justify them publicly; I don't think
> python-dev would be doing its job if some of these things were merely
> accepted without discussion.
[snip]

Terry