[Python-Dev] GPython?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Mar 27 04:21:06 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:05, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> An ars technica articla just linked to in a python-list post
>

> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/google-launches-project-to-boost-python-performance-by-5x.ars
>
> calls the following project "Google launched"
> http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ProjectPlan
>
> (Though the project page does not really claim that.)

> I am sure some people here might find this interesting.
>
> I'd love to have a faster CPython, but this note:
> "Will probably kill Python Windows support (for now)."
> would kill merger back into mainline (for now) without one opposing being
> 'conservative'.

Well, that's "for now". It is brand new and still under active development.
View it as a long term development branch. This is not about to replace
CPython suddenly since work on Unladen just started.

> If one adds type annotations so that values can be unboxed, would not
> Cython, etc, do even better for speedup?

Nope as Unladen is planning to re-implement the eval loop, something Cython
doesn't optimize without the need to suddenly start adding type annotations
to code.

-Brett