[Python-Dev] GPython?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 27 02:05:58 CET 2009

An ars technica articla just linked to in a python-list post

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/google-launches-project-to-boost-python-performance-by-5x.ars

calls the following project "Google launched"
http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ProjectPlan

(Though the project page does not really claim that.)

I am sure some people here might find this interesting.

I'd love to have a faster CPython, but this note:
"Will probably kill Python Windows support (for now)."
would kill merger back into mainline (for now) without one opposing
being 'conservative'.

If one adds type annotations so that values can be unboxed, would not
Cython, etc, do even better for speedup?

tjr