[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:35:40 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 10:11 AM 3/25/2009 -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>
>> ... but Trac plugins *do require* egg files ... (AFAIK after reading
>> Trac docs and implementation of plugin upload from /admin/plugins, egg
>> cache for plugins ... and so on ...) and this is what I was talking
>> about ... apps (e.g. Trac) depending *today* on setuptools (e.g. egg
>> files ...)
>
> Trac uses entry points to access plugins.  Those plugins do not require .egg
> files, unless Trac specifically wrote code of their own that requires .egg
> files.

Yes you're right, Trac requires .egg files for local plugins installs
(... in /plugins folder ;) so that not all environments but only one
be able to use the plugin ... but that's not exactly what I'm saying,
since setuptools AFAIK *MUST* be already there ... so Trac depends on
setuptools.

> If you install a plugin from source using pip

Like you said setuptools is already there ... pip depends on
setuptools ... isn't it?

> or a system package manager,
> no .egg file is involved -- you'll have an .egg-info directory instead,
> alongside the installed code.  The pkg_resources API for accessing entry
> points works with either .egg files or .egg-info directories.

Like I just said setuptools AFAIK *MUST* be there ... isnt it ? Am I
still wrong ?

BTW ... if you (or anyone else ;) suggests me another pkg «like»
setuptools (supporting entry points and so on ...) so that I can try
how to install and use Trac plugins without setuptools + pkg_* in the
middle ... I'll be open to try it out ... and learn a little ;)

PS: Sorry if I insist «too much» ... BTW I am not very sure about
whether this getting a little bit OT or not ... hope this isnt the
case ... but if it is, pls let me know ASAP ... ;)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/