[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 25 17:04:52 CET 2009

At 10:11 AM 3/25/2009 -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
>... but Trac plugins *do require* egg files ... (AFAIK after reading
>Trac docs and implementation of plugin upload from /admin/plugins, egg
>cache for plugins ... and so on ...) and this is what I was talking
>about ... apps (e.g. Trac) depending *today* on setuptools (e.g. egg
>files ...)

Trac uses entry points to access plugins.  Those plugins do not
require .egg files, unless Trac specifically wrote code of their own
that requires .egg files.

If you install a plugin from source using pip or a system package
manager, no .egg file is involved -- you'll have an .egg-info
directory instead, alongside the installed code.  The pkg_resources
API for accessing entry points works with either .egg files or
.egg-info directories.