[Python-Dev] GSoC: Core Python development tools

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:59:51 CET 2009

> Oh, I heartily endorse his suggestions! I just want to make sure that we
> make maximum use of students (and their code doesn't get tossed at the
> end of the summer, which has serious morale consequences ;)

This is my concern as well.

One of my past students pitched a core project and ended up spending most of
his SoC time in the PEP process (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0368/).
Given how frustrating the experience was for him, I'd rather have future SoC
students be able to focus on code.

Let's at least have rough consensus on brainstormed ideas before they hit
the ideas page.  Existing PEPs that have had a time to air and evolve are
much better for this reason.