[Python-Dev] tracker status options

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 20 00:07:44 CET 2009

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 23:47, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de
> <mailto:martin at v.loewis.de>> wrote:
>
>     > It would be great to put in some of those extra status options
>     that were
>     > discussed recently...
>     >
>     >    "Open/New"
>     >    "Needs help / Chatting"
>     >    "Under development"
>     >    "Pending feedback"
>     >    "Closed"
>
>     Are you sure that you want them to be status options? Why not stages?
>

> Because Tennessee is after a way to sift through open issues looking for
> ones that are not being actively worked on, thus the "Under Dev" status.
> Just because an issue "needs [a] patch" doesn't means it is being worked
> on currently.

How is "being actively worked on" defined? How do these additional
status values help in answering that question?

>     ISTM that an issue that "Needs help" is still "Open".
>

> Once the backlog of bugs has been cleaned up and we get into a habit of
> triaging new bugs as soon as they come in this won't be quite as
> necessary. I believe Tennessee wanted this status to signify that more
> input is needed from others originally and to perform triage. Out of the
> two this one is needed the least in my opinion.

If you want them, we can add them. However, I would then need a complete
specification of how various pieces that currently refer to Open/Closed
should behave with respect to the new status, such as
- list of issues displayed
- weekly email notifications
- initial value that status should get
- relationship to existing status values

In addition, I would like to see a specification of the exact labels to
be used, plus a one-line description that should be attached to the
labels.

Regards,
Martin