[Python-Dev] draft 3.1 release schedule

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Mar 6 11:12:14 CET 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:

 > >From time to time, people ask what they can do push a change into Python
 > that they really think is important. I once offered that people who
 > want a patch in Python really badly should review 10 other patches in
 > return, up to the point where they make a recommendation about the fate
 > of the patches. I was then talked into accepting just 5 such patches.
 > I have since withdrawn this offer, because

I'm really sad to hear that.  I considered that one of the really nice
features of Python as a project (even though it was of course your
individual initiative).

 > a) I was the only one making that offer in public, and

IIRC others did, but you were the only one to do so repeatedly and as
a timely response to reports that the patch queue was going untended.

 > b) I was sometimes not really able to respond in a timely manner
 >    when the offer was invoked, because of overload.

Well, that happens.  An alternative to withdrawing entirely, would be
increasing the price (eg, to ten patches as you originally suggested).
Or specifying windows in your calendar when the offer is open.  Eg,
avoid doubling up on release times when you need make time to build
installers etc. ... but of course just before release is when people
will get antsy about their "lost" patches.

I hope that somebody will pick up the slack here, because review is
really important to the workflow, and getting more people involved in
reviewing at some level is more important (because it's less
glamorous in itself) than attracting coders.